Source: Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office

At approximately 3:00 p.m., Sheriff’s Office received a call reference a fight at the McDonalds on 56 Street and Sligh avenue. There was a large group of kids in the parking lot and the responding deputy heard someone shout, “Someone’s been shot”. The crowd immediately increased and deputies discovered that 4 individuals had been shot. Dalshon Walton died at the hospital as a result of his injuries and the other three were treated and released. According to witnesses, a white van was in the parking lot, an individual exited the van and began firing shots. As the van fled the parking lot, unknown individual picked up a bicycle and threw it at the van breaking the side window. It is unknown if the suspect fled in the van or on foot. The van was later recovered in the city of Tampa and has been impounded by the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office. Witnesses and one of the victim’s identified Otis Neal as the individual responsible for the shooting. Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office received information that the suspect, Otis Neal was at an acquaintances residence in the City of Tampa. He was arrested without incident at the Kenneth Court Apartments located at 5502 North 43 Street.

At this time, the incident does not appear to be gang related. Otis Neal has been charged with 3 counts of Aggravated Battery with a Firearm based on the three victims that survived. Additional charges are pending and the investigation continues.

Added: September 19, 2006

Source: Fox News

Tampa, Fla. — A high school senior was shot to death outside a fast-food restaurant after fistfights broke out among youths who had gathered there after school, authorities said. An 18-year-old man was arrested Friday.

Some witnesses suggested the shooting Thursday was gang-related, but authorities characterized it more as a territorial dispute.

The shots were fired by a man who had gotten out of a white van after several fistfights between groups of youths across from King High School in a crowded McDonald’s parking lot. The shooter then sped off, deputies said.

Witnesses said the slain youth, 17-year-old Dalshon Walton, was shot as he started to walk away from the crowd. Investigators were trying to determine if he had been involved in the dispute or just got in the way.

“All this shouldn’t have gone down. It was petty. It was stupid,” friend Alejo Vickers, 19, told the St. Petersburg Times.

Added: September 19, 2006

Source: St. Petersburg Times

TAMPA – Twelve hours after the chaotic shootout in a McDonald’s parking lot near King High School left three wounded and one King High student dead, Hillsborough sheriff’s detectives arrested an 18-year-old Tampa man who they say was identified by witnesses and one of the victims.

Otis Lorenzo Neal, of 3104 E 24th Ave., is charged with the non-fatal shootings of Antonio Harris, 16; Damian Lamar Bowie, 15; and Alexander McKinnie, 19.

He has not been charged in the fatal shooting of Dalshon Walton, a senior at King. But Sheriff David Gee anticipates “more serious charges” will be filed against Neal by the end of today.

“We believe he is the lone gunman, but we’re still dealing with ballistics,” Gee said. “We want to make sure we get everything lined up with the State Attorney’s Office.”

Gee said witnesses were at the State Attorney’s Office Friday morning giving statements.

“There is a ton of information on the street right now, not all of it reliable. There were a lot of inconsistent statements.”

So far, this much is clear: A fist fight, or several, erupted Thursday afternoon among the dozens of teenagers who had gathered at the popular after-school hangout.

Within seconds, one boy pulled a gun and fired multiple shots into the crowd, scattering the teenagers in all directions.

“There was panic, pandemonium, people trying to get out of the way,” said Major Robert Shrader. “We were able to get it under control quickly, sending away the people who didn’t have information, and holding onto the people we needed to talk to.”

Sheriff’s officials say that while some of those involved in the incident may have been affiliated with area gangs, but they do not believe the shooting was a planned attack among rival gangs.

No one was at Neal’s east Tampa home Thursday morning.

Lorenzo is in the county jail on three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

Added: September 19, 2006