Source: Vancouver Sun

METRO VANCOUVER – Homicide investigators were at two separate Surrey murder scenes Sunday after two men were killed in violent, unrelated attacks.

Cpl. Dale Carr, of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, said investigators determined immediately that there was no link between the two slayings – a shooting in North Surrey and a stabbing in Cloverdale.

The first victim, a 39-year-old man known to police, was shot to death inside a busy McDonalds at Scott Road and 110th Avenue at about 6 p.m. Saturday with horrified onlookers nearby.

The second victim, a 22-year-old male also known to police, was stabbed after an altercation outside a house party about 4:20 a.m. near 192nd Street and 70th Avenue. Police were called to the alley nearby after the fight began.

“Upon police arrival a male stabbing victim was identified. BC Ambulance Service was dispatched immediately as the male victim was in severe medical distress,” Carr said. “Several persons at the scene were arrested and brought to the Surrey RCMP office for questioning in relation to the incident.”

The man died about an hour later in hospital.

Carr said investigators would be canvassing the area into Monday for information about the stabbing.

The slayings occurred just eight days after a 17-year-old male was shot to death in south Surrey.

Before the killing of Hazaifa Kianai, IHIT had not opened a new file in two months.

Carr said while the violence is disturbing, there is nothing to indicate the “killing season” has begun.

“The second murder Sunday has nothing to do with the first one on Saturday. The second one is not gang-related or drug-related. It is a party spill-over type situation,” Carr said.

In terms of the Saturday slaying, Carr said investigators have identified the victim, who was from Surrey, but not the suspect who escaped on foot.

Police are canvassing for surveillance footage of the murder.

Carr said there was a camera capturing images right inside the McDonalds.

“I think there is some evidence on tape,” Carr said. “The tape in the McDonalds restaurant is going to be vital to the investigation.”

Carr said that although the murder took place in a busy fast food restaurant, it doesn’t appear that the killer arrived intending to take out his target.

Because the shooting happened near the back of the restaurant, by the bathrooms, the impression is that the two men knew each other and had a chance exchange that led to violence at close range.

“It wasn’t a case where a guy walked in and started shooting across the restaurant. Those types of shootings they are extremely frightening,” Carr said.

He said the restaurant staff did not appear to be at risk at any time.

“It is too early to say whether this incident has any links to gangs, drugs and organized crime,” he said.

There was a fatal shooting beside the same McDonalds in October 2007. An encounter between two groups of men left career criminal and meth cook Dylan Krishan Becker critically wounded. His associates dumped him at Surrey Memorial hospital where he died. The murder remains unsolved.

Added October 13, 2010 (Tip provided by Carlos)